Three Dunlins

Three Dunlins

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Dotterels

A few days ago I went to the southern region of my province, more precisely to the Bardenas Reales Natural Park, a huge and rich arid region with many ornithological threats as stone curlews and dotterels (in migration,they don't breed here). I didn't see any of the long legged ones but I was very lucky to encounter a big group of about 75 dotterels in a plugged dry field.

It took me a while to detect them because those birds camouflage very well in this kind of soil with their dull/sandy colors (and more  this month that they are changing to winter plumage).

It seems that this group has been lingering around for days because there has been a couple of similar observations during last month.

Those birds were very confiding and allowed me to take good pictures when they approched to my vehicle.
I have to mention that all the time I respect the security distance between them and me in orther not to make them fly and avoiding any kind of disturbance.

I have to mention that during the postnuptial period we can see those birds either in the high altitudes of the northern mountain plateaus at around 1000 m or in those flat flields of the southern region.

Of course it catches the eye to observe them in such different landscapes.


(Charadrius morinelus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


Chorlito carambolo (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


(Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).


 (Charadrius morinellus).

 (Charadrius morinellus).

No comments:

Post a Comment