Three Dunlins

Three Dunlins

Tuesday 19 November 2019

Surprise in the water pudddle

Hello there! 

This past weekend I had the opportunity to visit the ricefields located in Arguedas village in the southern part of my county, Navarra. 

Those fields are very important during the migration period and in the winter seasson a few stay around. 

During the morning, better said  the two hours that I stayed around I only saw a pair of shorebirds, a green sandpiper and a dunlin. I found the two birds in a quite big water puddle close to a pig farm. 

The recent showers have created this atractiv site and as usual the opportunistic tringa was already there. The dunlin presence puzzled my a bit more, due to their preference to other kind of muddflats. 

Both waders stay quite close to each other but the green mobbed the calidris when they got to close. This behaviour is typicall from the tringa as they are less social birds. 

I could manage to take a few pics without disturbing them and I left the place with the aim of finding more shorebirds in the bast ricefields around. After a while I was unsuccesfull and had to go back home. 







No comments:

Post a Comment