Three Dunlins

Three Dunlins

Sunday 26 May 2019

Mixed group.

Good morning!

Once again in this current seasson I could observe a nice group of mixed wader species close to my observation point, something not always easy bacause of the huge shoreline of this reservoir (Zolina). This time a saw a group of about twenty individuals flying over the water in the middle of the area and could localize their landing. I could manage to get a better view and count and record them.

There were ringed plovers (23),redshanks (2) and sanderlings (4). It has been a good seasson to observe the last ones with three encounters in a month ,when in  other years they don't even show up in the reservoir. The bird is nowadays a local rarity in the area.

Once on their feeding routine they came closer and I tried to localize any rings in their legs with no success. Not many good days remain in the calendar but may be I am lucky and I find a ring or a special species in the forecoming prenuptial period.


 As soon as landing, they need a while to observe the surroundings and check any dangers.


 Sanderlings showed more need for food than the rest.


VIDEO

No comments:

Post a Comment